Simple Ways to Deepen Your Connection with the Natural World

Simple Ways to Deepen Your Connection with the Natural World
"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown, for going out, I found, was really going in." - John Muir
Somewhere, stashed away in my collection of childhood memories, I recall having this small deck of cards with random, uplifting activities on them. I don’t remember how they journeyed my way, and I don’t remember them staying around for long, but I do remember that just reading through them was uplifting.

It’s interesting, the things that our minds choose to file away—and while I’m a little intrigued that these cards earned a spot, I’m not surprised, at all, that memories of entire days spent out in the woods near our home, as a child, are firmly rooted.

It felt as though there were magical secrets hanging from every tree branch and tucked away, at every step, along the forest floor.

Throughout the years, I don’t know that I’ve ever felt as content as I do when I’m muddying up a pair of hiking boots.

Tuning in to the natural world around us and feeling at ease go hand-in-hand. This is a simple truth that most of us are intrinsically aware of and are intuitively pulled toward, yet as more and more of our natural landscape is forced to concede to concrete, pavement, and buildings, our stretches of mingling with untouched fields and forests become fewer.

The natural world offers a quick and reliable way to effectively manage anxiety, depression and stress-related conditions. In a world that seems increasingly focused on technological routine and gadgetry, basking in the gentle and balancing support that radiates from and within our natural world might seem too simple—and, as a result, may not always be taken seriously as an effective stress-managing solution.

Even if we don’t step outside our back door to acres of countryside, we can integrate the benefits that time with nature offers through seeking out pockets of less-cultivated ground during our daily routines. A stroll through a park on the way to work or eating lunch outside can quickly instill a worthwhile sense of peace and tranquility.

Aside from our own intuitive awareness, there is much research pointing to the restorative effects of nature—for both our minds and our bodies. It has a quick way of moving through busy, ongoing internal chatter and shape-shifting our thoughts and perspectives.

Watching animals collect food along the ground or listening to the rain or birds can immediately shift us into a meditative space. These experiences offer us a chance to connect, in a whole-body way, to the ebb and flow of our entire natural world—to simultaneously become aware of our presence and lose ourselves within this same energetic rhythm.

The natural world is in a constant state of change. It brings light to our own dynamic life happenings and gifts the opportunity, regardless of our individual struggles or situations, to just be. Calm and connected.

Thinking back to that deck of cards from my childhood…

If I were to make a new deck of cards, to help inspire connection with our natural world, the below are a few of the activities that would be included in it.

Step away from electronics.

Spend some quality time, each day, away from the television, computer, and phone. Spend time doing things that you love outdoors—read a book, take a walk, or sit on the porch and quietly connect with your surroundings. See if you notice a difference in the way you feel.

Grow a plant.

While plants are typically easier to care for (requiring less time spent with them), and less communicative than animals, we can still cultivate meaningful connections with these living, aware beings. Aside from the feel-good energy that plants bring to a space, they also have the ability to measurably remove unwanted material from indoor air and increase oxygen levels. ... read more

Contribute to the Life-Health-Relax project that improves the quality of life through thoughtful quotes, wisdoms and light when you purchase ths relaxing music »

Listen to This

Individual genres playlists here »
A playlist where I collect my favourite indie/alternative, pop/rock, jazz/soul songs. I think you'll like it.

Need To Relax?

Rest your body, relax your mind and recharge your soul with this relaxing music videos.

Follow Me


Bandcamp | PayPal | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Mix | Reddit