How I Stopped Putting Everyone Else’s Needs Above My Own

"Never feel sorry for choosing yourself." - Unknown
I was eleven years old, possibly twelve, the day I first discovered my mother’s betrayal. I assume she didn’t hear me when I walked in the door after school. The distant voices in the finished basement room of our home drew me in. My mother’s voice was soft as she spoke to her friend. What was she hiding that she didn’t want me to hear?

I leaned in a little bit closer to the opening of the stairs… She was talking about a man she’d met. Her voice changed when she spoke of him. The tone of dreamy wonder when you discover something that makes your heart race. She talked about the way they touched and how she felt being with him.

I felt my body go weak. I could not tell if it was sorrow or rage. All I knew was, she had lied to me.

Several months prior, my parents had announced their divorce. My mother told me the decision was my father’s choice. She told me he was the one breaking up our family. She told me she wanted nothing more than to stay with us and be together.

And now I heard her revealing that was not true. She wanted to leave. She was not choosing me. She was choosing him.

Since I was nine months old, my mother had been in and out of doctor’s offices, hospitals, psychiatrist’s and therapist’s offices trying to find the cure of her mental and emotional instability.

When I was a young child, she began to share her frustrations and sorrows with me. I became her support and the keeper of her pain. She had nicknamed me her “little psychiatrist.” It was my job to help her. I had to. I needed her stable so I could survive.

I don’t remember when or if she told us that she was seeing someone. I just remember she was gone a lot after that day. She spent her time with her new boyfriend out of the house. As the parentified child who she had inadvertently made her caretaker, it felt like she was betraying me. She left me for him.

I was no longer the chosen one—he was.

I hated him for it. When my mother moved in with him, I refused to meet him. I didn’t want to get to know or like this man she left me for.

I saw them one day in the parking lot outside of a shopping plaza. I watched them walking together and hid behind a large concrete pillar so they wouldn’t see me. The friend I was with asked if I wanted to say hello. I scowled at the thought. I despised him.

Within the same year, his own compromised mental health spiraled, and they broke up. He moved out of their apartment. I didn’t know why or what happened. I only knew my mother was sad. Shortly after their breakup, he took his own life. From what we heard, he had done so in a disturbingly torturous way. It was clear his self-loathing and pain was deep. ... read more

Contribute to the Life-Health-Relax project that improves the quality of life through thoughtful quotes, wisdoms and light when you purchase this relaxing music »

Listen to This

Individual genres playlists here »
A playlist where I collect my favourite indie/alternative, pop/rock, jazz/soul songs. I think you'll like it.

Need To Relax?

Rest your body, relax your mind and recharge your soul with this relaxing music videos.

Follow Me



Bandcamp | PayPal | YouTube | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Tumblr | Reddit